Development and Communications Assistant
The Massachusetts Appleseed Center for Law and Justice's mission is to promote equal rights and opportunities for Massachusetts residents by developing and advocating for systemic solutions to social justice issues. The Center does this by working with volunteer lawyers, community partners and others to identify and address gaps in services for at-risk and underserved children, youth and adults in areas such as education, homelessness and the court system.
The Development and Communications Assistant will play a key role in all aspects of the organization's fundraising programs and external communications.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assist Executive Director and/or fundraising consultant in all aspects of major fundraising event, including sponsorships, venue logistics and other related vendors relations.
- Assist Executive Director in researching and identifying corporate and foundation prospects and in preparing proposals; monitor and evaluate progress toward goals; prepare reports and analysis of results for foundations.
- Coordinate annual appeal with Executive Director and Board members; work with and support Board in creating and maintaining an active fundraising committee.
- Maintain accurate records in database (process gifts, create donor profiles, keep accurate records of contacts, prepare mailing lists and donation reports) and prepare gift acknowledgements and thank you notes.
- Research, write and distribute periodic e-newsletters.
- Monitor Mass. Appleseed's social media accounts and prepare posts for publication.
- Support the Executive Director with other tasks and responsibilities as needed.
- BA/BS plus some administrative experience, especially in non-profit fundraising and communications
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with event planning and/or grant proposal writing
- Experience contributing to social media for an organization or business a plus
- Strong MS Office skills
- Experience with Constant Contact and Fundraiser or other database management programs
- Strong interpersonal, networking and relationship building skills
- Exceptional time-management, planning and organization skills; ability to meet deadlines and handle complex and confidential tasks simultaneously; flexibility to quickly shift attention to new requests and reprioritize workload
- Ability to maintain high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment; ability to take initiative in identifying and taking on unmet office needs and unfinished tasks
- Website management and graphic design experience a plus.
Position reports to Executive Director.
Schedule: part time (approx. 20 hours) to start; may grow.